UrbanArts is Seeking New Board Members
Role: Board Member
Position Type: Volunteer, 3-5 hours per month Number of Positions Available: 2
UrbanArts is a progressive, not-for-profit, charitable Local Arts Service Organization (LASO) providing opportunities for diverse cultural expression, artistic development, training and employment to members of urban communities with a focus on youth in central west Toronto; UrbanArts focuses on engaging community through the arts; UrbanArts is an incubator for local arts, with a range of programs led by professional artists in visual, literary, digital, culinary and media arts, theatre, dance and music. UrbanArts offers its program and services to the broader community, maintaining a focus on youth.
Mission: UrbanArts is committed to the goal of building inclusive, engaged communities by enriching people’s lives through the arts, culture and heritage, with programs, services and resources delivered within the former City of York boundaries, with a focus on York South-Weston.
Vision: Enhancing neighbourhoods by engaging community through the arts; beginning with a focus on youth, UrbanArts is the thread that weaves together generations.
Mandate: To promote, engage and facilitate cultural and community development opportunities between artists, arts organizations and community members and community.
UrbanArts is seeking dynamic and skilled leaders with a passion for the arts, youth and community to join our Board of Directors. Applications are being sought for individuals ideally from within (the former city of) York to fill 2 positions slated for election at our Annual General Meeting (AGM) in February 2022. UrbanArts is governed by an 8-person volunteer Board of Directors committed to the organization’s mission, vision and mandate and to the important role of shining a light on the arts in communities within the old city of York, ensuring a vibrant, healthy and creative community through programs, events and services. The Nominations Committee is seeking candidates for two (2) board member positions with any- or a combination of the following prioritized competencies:
- Marketing, Outreach and Communications
- Program Planning, Development & Evaluation
- Partnership Development
- Finance and/or Accounting
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Entrepreneurship & Events
- Leadership, Governance & Risk Management
- Strategic Planning & Policy Development
• Fundraising, Revenue Generation & Diversification to support organizational sustainability • Advocacy
- Arts & culture experience an asset but not a requirement
- Knowledge of the arts and non-profit sectors’ trends, issues and challenges
- Strategic and/or innovative leadership (paid or volunteer) with non-profit organizations
To ensure we continue to reflect the clientele we serve and to demonstrate our continued commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, preference will be given to individuals from the following groups:
- Indigenous peoples (First Nations – includes Status, Treaty or Non-Status, Métis and Inuit)
- Racialized Groups (Black or People of Colour (regardless of place of birth)
- Individuals with disabilities
- LGBTQI2S+ individuals
- Women / Female Identifying
Term Limits and Commitments:
- Currently, Board terms are for two years, renewable
- Board of Directors meetings are held quarterly
- Monthly committee meetings
- Additional ad hoc working groups as necessary
Board member responsibilities include:
- Guidance and leadership to the Executive Director as they implement the strategic, fundraising, program and operational plans
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approve annual budget and audit reports
- Attend and support the work of UrbanArts’ committees
- Represent UrbanArts to stakeholders and act as an ambassador for the organization
- Contribute to fundraising, resource development and growth of UrbanArts’ network
Individuals who are 18 years of age or older, have the power under law to contract, are not an employee or paid contractor of UrbanArts and have a passion for harnessing the power of the arts to help youth and community reach their potential.
Application Deadline: January 14th, 2022
Please apply by dowloading application form here and submit to: Nominating Committee
5 Bartonville Ave. E.,
Toronto, ON M6M 2B1
OR via email to firstname.lastname@example.org – Please quote “Board Member” in the subject line
Unfortunately, we will not be able to respond to telephone inquiries.
For more information on UrbanArts, please visit www.urbanartstoronto.org
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.